Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Week beginning January 21st - Australia Week

This Saturday, the 26th of January, is Australia Day. I have simply stolen the definition of Australia Day from Wikipedia and it is below, in case you are unsure or can't remember, why we have a public holiday in Australia for it and why it is such a big deal.

It is very important to us, but we do not make a massive deal of it here at Kaffeine. We are only 90% Australian owned (the other 10% is Kiwi) and our staff breakdown is 5 Aussies, 4 Kiwis, 2 Polish, 1 English, 1 Burmese, 1 Colombian and 1 Irish.

We are proud to be a cafe in London, a multicultural melting pot of cultures and people and customs and traditions. We will not have an Australian soundtrack on the playlist and we will not wear green and gold or have a flag flying, but we will be doing lamingtons and we will of course have ANZACS. 

We do expect to be very busy, it is the first time Australia Day has landed on a Saturday in Kaffeine's lifetime, so if you wish to pre-order your lamingtons or ANZACS for your own parties, please email us and if you wish to come down and help us celebrate in our own little way, we look forward to seeing you.

Please enjoy the menu this week, as we have enjoyed putting it together and we will enjoy serving it to you.

"Australia Day (previously known as Anniversary Day, Foundation Day, and ANA Day)[1] is the official national day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, the date commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove in 1788 and the proclamation at that time of British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia (then known as New Holland).[2]

Although it was not known as Australia Day until over a century later, records of celebrations on 26 January date back to 1808, with the first official celebration of the formation of New South Wales held in 1818. It is an official public holiday in every state and territory of Australia and is marked by the presentation of the Australian of the Year Awards on Australia Day Eve, announcement of the Honours List for the Order of Australia and addresses from the Governor-General and Prime Minister. With community festivals, concerts and citizenship ceremonies the day is celebrated in large and small communities and cities around the nation. Australia Day has become the biggest annual civic event in Australia".

Traditional bircher muesli with rhubarb and raspberry compote 3.50
Granola muesli with pomegranate molasses and rhubarb and raspberry compote 3.50
Fruit salad (pineapple, mango, strawberries, grapes, passionfruit, peach) 3.70
(add 30 p for granola or yogurt)
Ciabatta roll with omelette, pancetta, rocket and tomato salsa 4.90
Ciabatta roll with courgette omelette, rocket and tomato salsa 4.90
Croissant with Italian roast ham, talleggio cheese, spinach & plum tomatoes 4.90
Croissant with gruyere cheese and plum tomatoes 4.00
Seven seed bakery bloomer toast with homemade preserves 1.70
Coffee, cherry and walnut toast 2.30
Banana bread 2.40

Porridge - Served with rhubarb and raspberry compote, chopped nuts, muscovado sugar, golden syrup or honey 3.00

Pastries by Seven Seed bakery
French butter croissants 1.80
Pain au chocolat 2.40
Almond croissants 2.80

Baked Treats
Sweet Muffins Blue Berry and Bran  2.20
Savoury Muffins Sweet Corn and Three Corner Garlic 2.20
Peanut and Jelly friands 2.20
Super moist chocolate brownies 2.40
White chocolate blondies 2.40
Portuguese tarts 2.00
ANZAC cookies 1.80
Afgan cookies 1.80

Soup Lamb and Fosters 4.50

French retro baguettes 4.90
Blue Vein Cheese, Pears, Spinach, Pickled Onions
Smoked Salmon, Lime Cream Cheese, Cucumber, Purple Basil, Rocket

Foccacias with sea salt and rosemary crust 5.00
Ham, Balsamic Glazed Apricots, Brie, Rocket
Fosters Rarebit with Mushrooms and Spinach

Salads: 5.50/6.50
Mini Cod Fish Cakes with Scurvygrass, Cucumbers, Pickled Red Chillies and Hollandaise
Kiwi, Goats Cheese, Toasted Cashew Nuts, Quinoa with a Chervil Parsley dressing
Roasted Courgettes with Wilted Sea Beet and Smokey Chilli Oil

Tart: 4.00 or 7.50 with salad
Brown Rice and Tuna Bake with Rouille

No comments:

Post a Comment